Much busier than I anticipated these days. Kigali was really interesting and yet incredibly traumatizing. I won't go into anymore detail here I don't think, but stories when I get back if you really want to know. It was fascinating, just incredibly...dark? I'm not sure how to describe it any better than that. Other than that, not much else to report. Oh, I accidently ate liver and intestines last night? So incredibly gross. The rest of the food has been fabulous (especially fresh guava, jackfruit and something called a white tomato?)
For my research project, I'm planning on looking into different projects involving development induced displacement (like the flooded villages in India because of the Sardar Sarovar dam project...I dunno if that reference helps at all). Haven't really looked into project sites yet, but I'm getting there.
Also- totally have been giving people the wrong address. The correct one is:
School for International Training
Kamwokya
Plot 18, Kanjokya Street
P.O. Box 23431, Kampala
Uganda
I mailed a ton of post cards like 1.5 weeks ago so they should get there eventually? If you don't get one by like November let me know ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jackfruit is da bomb. And yes, I want to know about Kigali.
ReplyDeleteLove the project idea. We speak of development often, but in terms of human rights issues, we grow too often mute. There's a definition of development I'm looking for--can't put my hands on it right now--but it's about reduction of inequity, of poverty, of sickness, of illiteracy. This is quite a different view than the crass "modernization" which too often allows corruption to flourish.
Finally, I'll just mention what you have probably already heard about: not the GNP index but the Gross National Happiness index!
Thinking of you often, my dear friend!