Friday, October 30, 2009

Really, I Should Call it “Epic Fail Blog” ☺

As I am sitting around the resource center with Courtney and Derrick right now, the three of us lacking the ambition to do anything more than look for spring internships and discuss ridiculous things like the merits of daylight savings time, I realized that I have failed miserably at this whole blog thing.

I’m not going to lie, most of the time I find writing incredibly boring and writing about what I’ve done to be a bit repetitive. Most of the writing I’ve been doing since I arrived here has either been for our assignments or more introspective ramblings or thoughts, like “Wow, NGOs kinda suck…” or “I have no idea why we’re here some times” kinda things that nobody really needs to read. When we went on long drives like to Mbarara or Busia or Kigali, I would have a lot of time to sit and think and thus sometimes random ideas would pop into my head and I’d write a few paragraphs or bullet points (for instance I have a half written thing on globalisation I wrote as a response to seeing a Dasani ad and a guy wearing a Detroit Tigers shirt), but I unfortunately rarely come back to them, either due to lack of time (can I claim research project as a defense?) or motivation, mostly the latter. Thus, the Obama bit was actually an aberration in that pattern, though I hope it was well received. (Side note- it’s actually funny how to some people it’s not that much of a big deal at all. At tea yesterday, I was talking with my mom about how the US economy is rebounding a bit and she goes, “Ah that’s good news. Good work by, oh what’s his name? I can never remember.”) It was just something that I’ve been thinking about and had some info to back it up. Some may think it’s completely off base and that it’s not really that deep but in most cases I would beg to differ.

I digress, so anyways, the point to all of this was to make two things clear- 1) I’m terrible at keeping up with this blog and I realize it, and thus, 2) If you wanna know, please just ask. I’ve been much better with email. If you wanna know about Rwanda, just email me and I’ll tell you all about Kigali and the genocide memorials; if you wanna know about rural life and pit latrines or my thoughts about being here in general and everything I’ve started to question, seriously just ask because most likely I’ve written it all down but have been too lazy to type it up.

Or better yet, you can wait 38 days and we can have coffee and talk about it, because stories with pictures are so much more awesome than boring emails ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment